Plastic Free July
Plastic Free July® is a global movement that helps millions of people be part of the solution to plastic pollution – so we can have cleaner streets, oceans, and communities.
As part of Ellab’s continued work towards environmental sustainability and our environmental accreditation, we have been working hard to reduce, reuse, and recycle all of our waste. We have cut down massively on the quantity of our outgoing plastic by switching to cardboard and glass containers wherever possible – including all of our packaging, and are currently undergoing the process of making our office plastic-free.
What else have we been doing?
- All Equipment packaging: all of our product packaging has now been placed in recyclable brown card boxes, that hold extra parts or accessories in position instead of putting in plastic bags.
- We use various types of packing filler, shredded paper, foam, bubble wrap and airfill, we have not bought any of these for over a year, as we reuse all the packing we receive from our incoming deliveries (none are thrown into the bin), any new packing that would be purchased would only be of a paper recyclable type.
- We have eliminated the kitting of parts to the shop floor in plastic bags, we now have 75% of manufactured product with line side stock, the remaining products are kitted straight into the lin bins ready for manufacture.
- We no longer use plastic based packing tape to seal our boxes we now use an environmentally friendly tape made from 65% recycled paper, this is fully recyclable, enables cardboard boxes to be recycled much more efficiently and is fully compostable.
- We have free milk on site for staff, 18 Months ago we calculated we were throwing 500-700 plastic milk cartons into the bin each year, we then started using our local milk company (Marlow dairy produce) to deliver milk in reusable glass bottles.
- All toilet rolls and “blue” towels are supplied loose in recycled cardboard, without any plastic outer wrapping.
- The products that are used to clean the factory now have refillable trigger bottles with concentrated solutions ready to just add water, all items such as washing up liquid is bought in large canisters so it can be decanted into the usable “for life” bottles.
- Our units use Saft batteries, these trays are used to return all “used” batteries for recycling.
- All bin liners for bins in the factory and offices have been removed, and everyone operates a “naked bin”.
What about suppliers?
- All plastic housings / moulding we use were wrapped in single use plastic bags, we have replaced these with a better grade plastic bag, and when they are delivered we unpack items and return these bags back to the moulders ( Essex injection Moulding) to be reused multiple times, we have been doing this for 6 months and haven’t replaced any transport bags yet.
- Any company that we free issue material to, is instructed to return the processed material in the same packaging. e.g TPE our machining partner will have cases to machine free issued, once machined, they are returned in the same packing.
- All suppliers are periodically requested to review their environmental policies and practices.
- We send environmental bulletins to our customers raising awareness of all issues we are tackling, and encourage them to also take environmental action.
Will you be part of Plastic Free July by choosing to refuse single-use plastics?
Join us in making these small changes, and together we can make a massive difference to our communities. You can choose to refuse single-use plastics in July (and beyond!) with the tips available on the Plastic Free July website.
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.
Part of the Ellab Group.
Hanwell Solutions Ltd. Name Change
As you will be aware, Hanwell Solutions Ltd was acquired by Ellab A/S two years ago and we have been working with our new parent company to ensure a smooth…
Ellab Monitoring Solutions achieves ISO 14001 Environmental Management Accreditation!
Ellab Monitoring Solutions Ltd. are proud to announce that our Environmental Management System (EMS) has been certified against the international standard ISO 14001:2015 – Environmental Management. We work hard as…
A plastic free sea. We’re doing our bit, are you?
It’s a huge topic at the moment and I’m sure we’re all well aware that each year, an estimated 18 billion pounds of plastic waste enters the worlds ocean from…